Monday, October 5, 2020

IRA


No no ! Not that I was pining for a grand child Not at all...Life was going great ! But I must admit I felt a twinge of jealousy when Mintoo announced she was going to be a Dida ! I managed to shut out that green eyed monster and looked forward . I had full faith in the future . I always believe things happen when they are destined to happen :)


So our joy new no bounds when our Little announced over the phone that she is expecting her little one ! It took me a while to absorb the news...Oh my God !! It has finally happened ! My heart was singing ...I am going to be a Dida . I was ecstatic!

I wanted to rush to Mumbai ..I wanted to hug Little ..but I had to hold on to my horses.
I would make unending calls advising Little ...do this , eat this ..take care .. . I would lie sleepless at nights planning and planning . I would spend hours reading up books and articles on babies ! Kids wear shops where I would never walk into , were now my favourit haunts. I would spend hours looking and touching baby clothes lovingly ...imagining so much , but not buying because of superstition . It had to wait till after the big day !

Since I am the first born of my parents , and Little was our first born , so my ardent wish was that our daughter too must have a daughter first. I would be instinctively drawn to cute pink dresses and baby accessories. 

The months dragged on , till it was finally time for me to arrange things in my Mauritius home and leave for Mumbai to be with Little and Andy for the delivery .
There were still a few weeks left, and we three spent the days amidst excitement, anticipation anxiety and nervousness !We could hardly wait !
A week before the expected date Andy suggested we go have a peek at the baby ...haha! Off we went to the clinic and requested for an ultra sound ! We gazed with wonder at the images on the screen , our hearts melted to see a tiny hand stretching out ...as if to say "...I am coming .." :) 

We admitted Little in the Breach Candy Hospital on 11th May . It was early evening ...the room was very pleasant , looking out to the sea. The sun was setting and the day was about to be over . The C section was to happen early next morning !

I spent a sleepless night ...12th may dawned ...

Andy was allowed inside the OT .

After an endless wait and a lot of pacing up and down outside the OT , I looked up to see Andy looking at me across the glass pane of the door , indicating two plats with his hands and grinning from ear to ear !

Its a Girl !! And Ira was born :)

When I could finally see her ....choking with emotion ,eyes moist , I gazed at her tiny face with wonder , the most beautiful baby in the world ...and felt her little fingers gently curling around my heart to hold it forever !!

2 comments:

Arunoday said...

So beautifully written Ma. You have captured the emotions on behalf of what all of us were feeling. Your words brought alive those months full of anticipation and excitement when we were waiting to welcome the new member of our family. The sensitivity with which you have conveyed your thoughts of being the eldest daughter, transforming into a mother and then eventually a grandmother just makes me feel proud as to how successfully you have fulfilled all these roles. Your character is as strong as your pen. Glad you have resumed this. Keep writing Ma, look forward to more. Lots of love

coronabythesea said...

Beautifully captured Ma. This will be so precious for Ira all her life. And to imagine this is the same person who is sharing her first and little secrets with you in her 6 pm calls everyday. She runs around saying "how many minutes left before Dida calls?".